Saturday, November 8, 2014

Sachin, :Statesman in the making? Tendulkar doesn’t think so

Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar at the launch of his autobiography at the Lord's Cricket Ground in London on Friday. PTI
Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar at the launch of his autobiography at the Lord's Cricket Ground in London on Friday. PTI


At his book launch in London, Sachin hints at ‘major’ plans for cricket in India
Sachin Tendulkar is in discussions with India’s central government about the execution of a major “proposal” that he hopes to be involved with as part of his retirement plans. Tendulkar, who declined to give further details of his project aside from confirming that it was to do with sports, made the revelation at a press conference for the UK launch of his much-awaited autobiography, Playing it My Way, at Lord Cricket Ground in central London.
Tendulkar, who arrived at the press conference with his wife, declared that while a life in politics was “not an option” for him, he would nevertheless be publicly engaged – both with causes that he already supports (this includes two charities, Apnalaya to provide financial empowerment for disadvantaged women, and Spreading Happiness Foundation to provide lighting across rural India) and with the proposal already discussed with the government.
“I realize there are responsibilities on me and expectations of me – on and off the field,” he said. “Recently I met the PM and shared my vision with him…and met his team after that.” Tendulkar launched his autobiography on Wednesday this week in Mumbai and it has already achieved record hardback sales in India of 150,000 (with 200,000 copies printed in the country) beating sales of Steve Jobs’ biography and Dan Brown, publishers Hodder & Stoughton said at the press conference hosted by former England skipper Nasser Hussain.
Clearing the air

While the book has already grabbed headlines for some of the behind-the-scenes revelations it contains, Tendulkar said he had never intended to create a controversy. “The intention was not to create headlines; the intent was to tell my story,” he said. When I was playing I felt that my energy should only be focused on one direction – I honestly didn’t have time for anything else, including to respond to various retaliations... now my career is over I thought it was only fair to bring this out…to let them know what I’ve been through.”
He said remarks about Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting were not intended as criticisms. “I have gone on record saying they were some of the greatest players who have played the sport…it’s not about negatives it’s about the whole picture.”
Asked about who he thought would win the next World Cup to be played in Australia, Tendulkar named Australia, South Africa, India and New Zealand as the “dark horse.” He said India could also spring a surprise – though dismissed England to laughter at the press conference.
H 7 Nov 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment